For the years 2015, and 2016, there were recorded 26 million international arrivals in 2015 and 26 million in 2016, according to the national tourism policy. As in 2017 the tourism policy is being implemented, Greek tourism is moving at a growth rate of 7%.
Through the implemented tourism policy, it was achieved:
- The extension of the summer tourist season
- The opening of new high-income foreign markets and raising of 10% of luxury tourism
- The promotion of new Greek destinations in order to diffuse the benefit to local communities
- The development of thematic tourism
- More air connections were added, with 150 connection flights and 6000 scheduled flights to regional airports in 2017.
- A record of 17 years in new full-time jobs as reported of the Ministry of Labor in first five months of 2017, the highest performance since 2001.
- High interest in tourist investment: 142 files for new and existing hotels over 300 beds were filed in 2016 in the Ministry of Tourism
- 251 Development Proposals were submitted for hotel investments amounting to 50% of the value of the total proposals